Hands Down The Best Chili on the Planet


So many of you already know but back in August we sold our beautiful home and moved into my husbands grandparents cabin in Provo canyon. Like IN the canyon. It has been a pretty hard transition for me (one word: BUGS) with living without most of our belongings, it's a smaller space, no washer and dryer and initially no dishwasher (we recently bought this and it has been a lifesaver!). 

With that being said, we couldn't have picked a better time to move here. We got to witness fall in all it's glory right outside our windows. I have never appreciated fall so much! Just this past week it got really cold too, but that's nothing a good hot soup can't fix!




 So there's this chili, it literally to this day is still the best I've ever had! My talented friend Niki was the first to introduce it to me and this is her amazing recipe. I've won the "Best Chili" award two years in a row at our church's chili cook-off (I know I would have won again this year if we hadn't moved haha!!!). I've shared it before over on The Urban Hare's blog but it's been a while and there are a few updates I wanted to add to it.


Bacon is probably the most important ingredient here so... don't skip that!! But really, why would you?


 Okay let's change the subject for just a second. Do you see my nails??? I'm telling you even though it's so hard to type this right now, I FREAKING LOVE THEM! Hailey over at Lacquered Loft is incredible! She never disappoints!


I hope you enjoy this recipe! It's been requested by so many people (by my husband especially) and even this pregnant mama can't get enough of it! 



Niki’s Award Winning Chili

Sauce:
1 cup Kraft BBQ sauce (mesquite or hickory smoke flavor)
1 cup ketchup
1 cup loosely scooped brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste


Chili:
6 strips bacon
1 lb ground beef
Montreal Steak seasoning (to taste)
5 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 a yellow onion
1 can S&W chili beans
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can red beans

Combine all sauce ingredients and set aside

Cook bacon in a pan, lightly season with steak seasoning, until fully cooked. Remove from pan and cook ground beef (with more steak seasoning), garlic and onion in the remaining bacon grease until fully cooked.

In the crock pot use a quarter of the sauce and spread on the bottom then layer your meat mixture with half the bacon (chopped) then layer black beans, white beans, red beans and chili beans. Then layer remaining sauce on top and top with remaining bacon. DO NOT STIR.

For best results cook on high for five hours (NEVER STIRRING) and then on low for two hours and then a final one hour on warm. After that last hour stir thoroughly, turn heat off and enjoy!

We love to eat ours with tortilla chips and a little cheese on top but you really don't need either of those things to make it a meal! It speaks for itself!!





No comments